Associate Professor (Professor Agregat)
Computer Architecture Department
UPC BarcelonaTech / Talaia Networks
D6-204 (Campus Nord)
Jordi Girona, 1-3
Tel: +34 934016824
Fax: +34 934017055
E-mail: pbarlet AT ac.upc.edu
PGP/GPG key: 2EC22241
Talaia Networks, S.L.
Pau Claris, 94
Tel: +34 937379379
E-mail: pere AT talaia.io
Web site: https://www.talaia.io
Pere Barlet-Ros received the M.Sc. and Ph.D. degrees in Computer Science from the Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya (UPC) in 2003 and 2008, respectively. He is currently an associate professor with the Computer Architecture Department and senior researcher with the Advanced Broadband Communications Center of the UPC. He is the President and co-founder of Talaia Networks, a UPC spin-off that commercializes cloud-based SaaS network visibility and security products. The company won the second prize for the best business plan among Catalan technology-based startups in 2013 (VALORTEC) and he was awarded as the best entrepreneur of the Barcelona School of Informatics in 2015 (Fiber Emprenedors). He was also a visiting researcher at Endace (New Zealand), Intel Research Cambridge (UK) and Intel Labs Berkeley (USA). For more that 10 years, his research has focused on the development of novel technologies for network monitoring, traffic classification, traffic analysis, anomaly detection and network security, which have been integrated in several open-source and commercial products, including Talaia, CoMo and SMARTxAC. He has been the Principal Investigator of 7 competitive research projects and advised 6 Ph.D. theses in the field of network measurements. He also published in the most relevant journals and conferences in his area of research, including the Proceedings of the IEEE, IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, IEEE Computer, ACM CoNEXT, ACM Internet Measurement Conference and USENIX Annual Technical Conference. He has recently been the General Chair of the Traffic Monitoring and Analysis Conference (TMA) in 2015 and is currently member of its Steering Committee.
Projects and activities related to network measurements:
- SDN-Polygraph-2: Cloud-based Monitoring Service for Software Defined Networks (H2020 - SME instrument phase 2, ref. 726763, 2016).
- SHIELD: Securing against intruders and other threats through a NFV-enabled environment (H2020 - DS-04-2015, ref. 700199, 2016-2018).
- SUNSET-B: Sustainable network infrastructure enabling the future digital society (MINECO, TEC2014-59583-C2-2-R, 2015-2017).
- NOMADS: A novel paradigm for network monitoring and data sharing (MINECO, TEC2011-27474, 2011-2015).
- SDN-Polygraph-1: Cloud-based Visibility Service for Software Defined Networks (H2020 - SME instrument phase 1, ref. 673922, 2015).
- POLYTEST: Experimentation with Network Polygraph in the Fed4FIRE testbed (Fed4FIRE-SME-3, 2015).
- METRA: Efficient measurement of advanced networks (INNPACTO, IPT-2011-1079-370000, 2011-2013).
- SMARTxAC: Traffic monitoring and analysis system for the Catalan RREN (CESCA, 2004-2014).
- TMA: Traffic monitoring and analysis (COST action, IC0703, 2008-2012).
- CoMo: Continuous monitoring (2004-2009).
- CoMo-UPC: TMA evaluation service at UPC (2009).
- SHENESYS: Load shedding in network monitoring applications (Intel Research Grant, 2005-2008).
- President Board of Directors of Talaia Networks, S.L. (2014-present)
- TMA Steering Committee member (2015-present)
- General and TPC co-chair TMA 2015 (Barcelona, April 22-23, 2015)
- Local organizer 5th PhD School on Traffic Monitoring and Analysis (Barcelona, April 21-22, 2015)
- TPC member IEEE Global Internet Symposium (GI, 2018)
- TPC member IEEE International Instrumentation and Measurement Technology Conf. (I2MTC, 2018)
- TPC member IEEE/IFIP Network Traffic Measurement and Analysis Conf. (TMA, 2010-2017)
- TPC member IEEE International Workshop on Measurements and Networking (M&N, 2015, 2017)
- TPC member ACM SIGCOMM Workshop on Big Data Analytics and Machine Learning for Data Communication Networks (Big-DAMA, 2017)
- TPC member Intl. Workshop on Traffic Analysis and Characterization (TRAC, 2015-2016)
- TPC member IEEE Workshop on Network Measurements (WNM, 2013-2016)
- TPC member Passive and Active Measurement Conf. (PAM, 2015)
- TPC member IFIP/TC6 Networking (2011, 2013)
- TPC member Intl. Workshop on Measurement-based Experimental Research, Methodology and Tools (MERMAT, 2013)
- TPC member Intl. Conf. on Computer Communications and Networks (ICCCN, 2011)
- Guest editor Computer Communications Special Section on Selected papers from TMA 2015 (2016)
- Guest editor Computer Networks Special Issue on Machine learning, data mining and Big Data frameworks for network monitoring and troubleshooting (2016)
- FiberEmprenedors: Best entrepreneur of the Barcelona School of Informatics (together with Josep Sanjuàs). FIB Alumni, May 2015.
- VALORTEC: 2nd prize to the best business plan of Catalan technology-based start-ups. Generalitat de Catalunya, Feb. 2013.
I am currently teaching at the Barcelona School of Informatics (FIB):
- Operating Systems (SO)
- Computer Networks (XC)
- Applied Engineering Project (PAE)
- Future Internet Networks (FINE)
Previously I taught:
- Computer Structure I (FIB, 2005-2010)
- Introduction to Computers (EETAC, 2003-2005)
- Programming Lab. (EETAC, 2003-2004)
- Computing and Programming Techniques (EETAC, 2003-2004)
- José Suárez-Varela
- Hoan Le
- Georgios Dimopoulos
- Jakub Mikians (graduated, 2015) [pdf]
- Valentín Carela Español (graduated, 2014) [pdf]
- Tomasz Bujlow (co-advisor, graduated, 2014) [pdf]
- Ignasi Paredes Oliva (graduated, 2013) [pdf]
- Josep Sanjuàs Cuxart (graduated, 2012) [pdf]
The CCABA research group and Talaia are continously looking for good students and engineers to develop her PFC, Master Thesis or PhD in topics related to Internet measurements, network monitoring and traffic analysis. If you are interested in a project that could lead you to a PhD (doctoral degree) or a position in Talaia, please send me an email with your CV and a motivation letter.
- An innovative network visibility service for Software Defined Networks (SDN)
- Uncovering Obfuscated Web Tracking